Saturday, May 7, 2011

For Her Future...For Her Daughter's Future Part 1

A personal account by Alexis Webb Bechtold.


Going through the attic at my Mom's house a few months ago, we stumbled upon her "Camp Fire Memories" scrapbook. Of course I took immediate interest in anything that was Camp Wakahni related. My mom was one of the first campers at Wakahni. She enjoyed many happy summers there as a camper, then a CIT (Counselor In Training), and finally a counselor. Clearly it made an impact on her--so much so, that when she had daughters, she made sure that we too attended Camp Wakahni & were involved in Camp Fire. 

Printed in 1960 - Front of brochure
But the story doesn't actually begin with Mom. In our family, the Camp Fire story begins with Granny & Gramps (Dale & Nita Allmon - my Mom's parents). They were on the board when the Ozarks Council bought Graydon Springs & renamed it Wakahni. They were there when the dreaming began to build a distictive bridge across the creek (Gramps actually designed that bridge!). They were there when the capital campaign committee designed the brochure that I found in my Mom's scrapbook 50 years later. They held that piece of paper that talked of their 10 year old daughter & her friends. They found an amazing place in Polk County where their daughter could "learn by doing". They obviously were thinking of her future...but they were also thinking of me & my sister! No really! Look at the front of the brochure! My grandparents looked at that property & thought of me almost 20 years before I was born. That hit me hard. Mom just laughed & said, "Who would have believed back then that we would be doing essentially the same thing now!?" She is right. We are back to almost the same spot, almost exactly 50 years later. Even though that can make me a little sad, it also invigorates me! 


On this Mother's Day I shout, "Thank you!," to all of the grandmothers that led Camp Fire to bring up the great women at Camp Wakahni. Those women had daughters of their own & showed us the magic of Wakahni/Graydon Springs. With their help & your help, we will proudly continue the declaration seen at the bottom of the brochure, "Tomorrow is built today."

5 comments:

  1. Oh My God!!! Now that I have started my Mother's Day with a rousing round of sentimental tears, I am blown away by what my daughter said. She really did pay attention to what we (I, her dad and her grandparents) tried to teach her! Thank you from your family for the kind tribute. How could anyone not want to be involved with an organization that is so committed to the well being of children, families,community and the environment?
    Now off to Walnut Street Arts Fest to work with Lil Olie and make fairy dust and let the rest of the community know of this great organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have told my daughter of Lil Olie and fairy dust! My fondest memories of being little was at Camp Wakahni. I still remember my favorite counselor: Flipper. I'm so glad I found this page to keep me updated about what's happening and events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother was also on the board when the Camp Fire Girls purchased Graydon Springs when the camp moved from Shaweo. My sister and I spent many weeks every summer at Wakahni. Although I don't remember a favorite counselor (my sister's was Flipper, just like the commenter above) I do recall my favorite horse: Old Joe, a big white cantankerous beast. I am sorry I missed the reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camp Wakahni was a special place to me as a camper and eventually as a counselor. I think of it often. Thanks for bringing this place to life. I hate that it's not around anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At a 30 year high school reunion this weekend 2 friends and I shared so many memories of our time at Camp Wakahni. It is part of my favorite childhood memories

    ReplyDelete